Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stayed at The Hotel Kinam 02-09-2010

This weekend I stayed at the Hotel Kinam. There were many reporters and camera men everywhere. I spoke to many of them and each one told me that the most important news right now is on the orphan case, about the two women who tried to kidnap 30 some children from Haiti. I agree that this is important news but so is thousands upon thousands of haitian people who are bracing for the rain season and have no tents that are rain standards and do not have food or water to provide for the needs of their family. It worries me - I don’t know about them. I think that it will be very difficult once the rain arrives. Especially on the hills, where there are houses upon houses - and then account for the mud slides that may also occur then we will have more devistation after the devestation of the earth quake , and the extreme poverty crisis before that. What then ? Why haven’t the larger organization came up with a plan for the tent cities outside of port au prince in a controlled medical, food and water distribution? There are already people fighting over the food after they recieve it and the weak lose their food over the fights.
It rained this weekend for a moment and I raised my hands up and said stop raining. after 10 minutes it stopped but many of the reports and film crew at the hotel were thinking of their equipment. I wonder if they stopped and thought about the children, families and the handicapped that are in sheets right outside the gates of the hotel.
The riots have started on the street and I watched alot of americans leave since I have arrived here. If you go to the international airport in Port au prince you can fly to florida for free if your american. But once they leave the problem is still here in Haiti.  Is there a solution to this level of need? I studied many scholars at the restaurant while sipping my coffee and watched the puzzled gazes in their faces. It was like they had no clue what to offer them or a solution to the food and water crisis.
We did our food distribution on Monday , thanks to the donations received from our members on http://www.feastandfamine.org, partners on http://www.pinpartnership.org and special contribution from AMDA , Japanese Medical Doctors , and a grateful thank you to Nithian. We are sincerely grateful in all the donations and contributions to everyone and organizations, who have contributed to our efferts in helping the people in Haiti. We sincerley thank you and so do the people in Haiti.
I will try to post more before my return to America. I appreciate all the prayers and wonderful thoughts from the partners. I hope that you can keep a candle burning for Haiti, our partners, and staff and my safe trip back to America.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Johnson
Head Coordination Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. My name is Jennifer. I started this blog to document my trip to Haiti. I am the review page and future page coordinator for PINP . My trip to Haiti will start on December 6th, 2009. I will be updating posts, pictures and videos ;as often as possible. I do want to share with the viewers and followers that I am worried.. and at the same time excitingly anticipating this trip. I feel that we all need to help those in poverty in anyway possible. I heard warnings the other day...like: Don't go outside after 6pm, watch your feet when walking anywhere, Talk softly in the slums, out of respect?..and a few other important hints. I do want my viewers and followers to keep in mind that I have never left America, except two trips through Canada to return to Alaska and if you can count Hawaii?? not exactly..so my main hope is to be able to find out what the people need for their futures, ways to help PINP , work with the staff for PINP and to see for own eyes the situations effecting Haitian people, their culture and most importantly their future. This is your personal invitation to follow me through a nation that has so many beautiful people, in serious life threatening living conditions. I hope that it helps bring awareness to the situations that PINP is working hard to resolve, and hopefully there is a moment when it connects you with someone that you will see, and personally want to start a relationship with , and if you feel that you are ready to make a relationship with someone from a different place then yours and help build that relationship with a child slave, mother with starving children or to help a child go to school , this is a way to personally start a partnership- a friendship ; please visit, www.pinpartnership.org . I also would like to mention that my partner is Naser Gardy, I have been his partner since May. I have received letters, video's and we have built a strong friendship from such a distance apart..the beautiful thing that is going to happen is - we will meet face to face for the first time. I will be posting video's and picture's as often as I possible can..which makes me excited to finally have the chance to meet him. Welcome to my blog. I hope you join me on my journey to understanding poverty , helping PINP and seeing a real meeting of true partnership.````````````````````

If you have any questions, comments or are interested in learning more about PINP and ways to help please contact me directly at: genisenow@hotmail.com , my name is Jennifer. Thank you once again for looking at my blog today.